Sony Bastards

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 157
Ah, no. not yet, although that does sound both good and anoying :|
To: koswix 14 of 157

Once you get stuff set up it's not bad. And way safer. Here is a shot of their page about it.

you go to www.google.com/accounts to set it up - that's where you'd do it if you can get it.

Attachments:
To: koswix 15 of 157
heh. It's pretty naughty innit! i am looking forward to seeing what weasel words get employed in the coming week or two.
To: patch 16 of 157
I've been using KeyPass for a couple of years now, it's really good. I still have a couple of places I use my "common" password, one of which just happens to be PSN, which I've now changed.

The only downside to KeyPass is it makes it impossible to gain access to a site from anywhere that isn't the machine you have your KeyPass database on (except of course if you use DropBox like you're doing - just don't go using the same password to access your DropBox account as you do to unlock your KeyPass database) and you don't know what the randomly assigned password is.

The upside to that downside is that I tend to buy less things on my lunch break that I don't really need.

Incidentally it was my Steam account that was compromised (though this was before Steam allowed you to save your card details) that instigated the need for me to start using KeyPass.
To: milko 17 of 157
I'd like to seem them get fined by the ICO for not telling people quickly enough, but I doubt that will happen :(
To: Matt 18 of 157
I think it's possible to use portable versions of Keepass and Dropbox and bung them on a USB stick to carry round, but that just means that I'd have to add a USB stick to my keyring and I'm not too keen on that idea.
To: Matt 19 of 157

Hmm - I use one strong password for sites/things that are anything to do with money stuff, because I am incapable of remembering more than one strong password :$

I would like an app on my laptop, PC and Android that would let me easily store and sync (and generate new ones when registering for sites) passwords. That would be good. Does keypass do this?

To: koswix 20 of 157
You could check into LastPass. That's what I use.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 21 of 157
Well, that bit was semi-sarcastic, you don't need lots, but you do need to have more than one.

It shouldn't be possible to access actual customer databases from the Internet - only via applications that indirectly access it (one record at a time, so users can check/modify their own data).
The database itself, and all the software that does bulk stuff should be behind a completely separate firewall, only accessible from within the company network.

In addition to that, sensitive data should be encrypted.
Perhaps the "may" is because credit card data was actually encrypted (but not securely enough to prevent decryption).
Passwords should have been one-way encrypted with a salted hash, including a secret part which is not part of the database, making it near impossible to decrypt passwords if you've only got the database, and very hard even if you also have the source/secret code.

A company the size of Sony which deals with card payments should be independently audited to make sure of all this. :/
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 22 of 157
Does that store your passwords locally or on their servers?
To: koswix 23 of 157
Presumably, SCEE have PCI DSS compliance in the EU in order to store credit card numbers unencrypted. That means they've fucked up real bad.
To: Matt 24 of 157
You mean they filled in a questionaire?
To: koswix 25 of 157
Just on their servers. LastPass
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 26 of 157

I know it was sarcastic. I was being dumb.

They should know better and I hope they pay for it!

To: koswix 27 of 157
Yes, but it doesn't do syncing itself. Syncing by Dropbox is a pretty good solution which I hadn't thought about, previously mentioned security concerns considered.

You can get Keypass (KeyPassDroid) and Dropbox clients for Android. I haven't tried creating new passwords in KeyPassDroid, I just use it to copy passwords from, and the Dropbox client for Android doesn't do automatic sync as far as I can tell (probably so it doesn't munch your bandwidth), rather you download and upload files manually to it.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 28 of 157
in that case, I don't trust them :C
To: koswix 29 of 157

Can't be any worse than Sony! :-&

At least LastPass encrypts my stuff!

To: koswix 30 of 157
I don't know what is involved, I just know it costs quite a bit if you fail compliance. According to the Evolve Online site, it's €5 per compromised account and €100,000 fine per incident.

So that's at least €100,015 fine of the people in this thread I know have PSN accounts.
To: koswix 31 of 157

Self-certification (wrong term, but I can't think of the right one at the moment) can only be done by smaller companies who handle a smaller number of transactions every year. Large companies have to be audited by a certified QSA.

The only problem is that the actual requirements in PCI DSS are a bit vague in places, and what you need to do to achieve compliance depends on the interpretation of the QSA. Sony's lawyers will just end up saying that they were compliant so long as you squint at it from the right angle.

To: ALL32 of 157
Could someone explain how (in actual use) this keepass thing works? I don't really care much about security, but if it's a thing that can remember and fill in my password/s for me, then I'm interested.