Sony Bastards

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 106 of 157
The good old days when we played counter strike all day long.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 107 of 157
And used GameSmurf to organised our servers :C
To: ALL108 of 157

You /utter/ CUNTS! :@

http://blog.lastpass.com/2011/05/lastpass-security-notification.html

After I just changed everything and started using Last Pass after the sony shit, I blame whoever recommended it in this thread :@

Oh the /irony/.

To: koswix 109 of 157
<snigger>
To: koswix 110 of 157

That was me, and shit happens. I'll continue to use them.

But I love cunt!

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 111 of 157

It wouldn't let me log in with my password to change it to a new one :S Just had to go through account recovery, which was surprisingly straightforward. If anyone gets access to my email account they'd be able to get all my last pass passwords in about 30 seconds :|

I posted the link above before I'd read the details, but at least it seems they're being hyper sensitive and informing people as soon as possible about a possible breach, rather than waiting a week like Sony :@

To: patch 112 of 157
Racist :C
To: koswix 113 of 157
That's what I thought and I appreciate the way they are dealing with it. I love the service so I'll continue to use it unless something on the Sony scale would happen!
To: koswix 114 of 157
It's fine. For now.
To: ALL115 of 157
An observer of the Internet Relay Chat channel used by the hackers told CNET today that a third major attack is planned this weekend against Sony's Web site. The people involved plan to publicize all or some of the information they are able to copy from Sony's servers, which could include customer names, credit card numbers, and addresses, according to the source. The hackers claim they currently have access to some of Sony's servers.

Oh dear.
To: ALL116 of 157
And

In congressional testimony this morning, Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony was using outdated software on its servers — and knew about it months in advance of the recent security breaches that allowed hackers to get private information from over 100 million user accounts.

According to Spafford, security experts monitoring open Internet forums learned months ago that Sony was using outdated versions of the Apache Web server software, which "was unpatched and had no firewall installed." The issue was "reported in an open forum monitored by Sony employees" two to three months prior to the recent security breaches, said Spafford.

To steal someone else's quote:

Playstation. It only does idiocy.
To: Matt 117 of 157
I read that yesterday and couldn't believe it! They run a multi-million dollar network and can't keep it updated. I run a dumb little blog and check it daily for updates!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 118 of 157
While I kinda agree with you, I also see big problems with the amount of testing and so on needed when you roll something out to the kinds of servers that Sony runs. That's still no excuse though to not at least have their firewalls configured.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 119 of 157
Usually a network like that would have a test lab where they would test updates before rolling them out to live machines. It would only require a few physical machines or a virtual environment to do it.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 120 of 157
I've done web work for Sony Music. They had staging servers to work on to ensure everything worked right before pushing it live. Only it never did, because the live servers had completely different configurations, versions of everything and security settings. I would imagine this sort of fuckwittedness infects the whole of Sony (and other big corps. Things were exactly the same on EMI, VMG and Warner).
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 121 of 157
Wow! Yeah it wouldn't do much good to test something on a completely different machine! The dumb asses!
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 122 of 157
When you say "staging servers to work on" ... well, you don't work on staging, you test on staging. Sounds more like shared development servers, which also implies a lack of proper version control?

How can a tech company the size of Sony be *so* bad and survive this long? :S
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 123 of 157
Doesn't surprise me.

Reading more about the PSN debacle yesterday, and I came across an article (which I now can't find, of course) that revealed how developers could access the live PSN servers without any form of additional authentication beyond what was built into the PS3 dev-kits they bought from Sony.

This all sounds fine and dandy, using hardware as the authentication method. That is until some clever people work out that your random number generator you use for encryption isn't returning a random number at all and quickly realise how to put it to use to a) decrypt everything and b) turn a retail PS3 into a dev-kit.

Apparently this access included users account details including full names, addresses, etc. although not any payment details. I don't know if it's true, but from what you've said it certainly adds more weight to it being so.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 124 of 157
<shrugs>

I called them what they called them.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 125 of 157

I know but.. Sony..
Last place I used to work for had a dev environment synched daily from live more or l less - they had about 70 employees, so not exactly a big company, but having a good test environment was crucial.

Sony, eh?