Minecraft

To: Kriv 23 of 477
Free version? If you mean the download link, you need an account to log in/activate it.
To: Kriv 24 of 477
yeah, its had a fair bit added apparently, well ahead. And all future updates (which should be many) will be included.

Got properly hooked tonight. Expanded my humble cave upwards and downwards, so there's now a few storeys of house going up and a spiral shaft down into some caves which I've been gradually clearing. Woke up 'this morning' to find a couple of Creepers waiting outside, one of whom exploded and took out a load of wall and stairs from one side of my tower! Bastard, but it made me giggle.

Next plans: found a new exit to the sea in my cave system so I'm going to channel in a river and use it to flush out monsters further down I think.
To: milko 25 of 477
That's all well and good, but when you learn how to spawn TNT on request, the game suddenly becomes less interesting :(
To: milko 26 of 477
Played for 5 minutes, got bored.

Meh.

--
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 27 of 477
I can see how that would happen. At first I was a bit like "so... what? and why?". It definitely won't be for everybody.

It's possibly worth following a 'how to survive your first night and get started' type guide and see if that helps. If you're interested in survival/exploration/building games it's worth a go.

It's ridiculous when you start getting scared of something that looks like this:

Tina was taking the piss out of me for getting jumpy about it last night, then shrieked with horror at a spider :)

Mikee - I'm just not playing it that way, at least not for now. More interested in working under limitations. Halloween update soon too!
To: milko 28 of 477
Do the huge pixels make the game better?!
To: ANT_THOMAS 29 of 477
well, they give it a certain charm! And make it super flexible I guess, it's generating land that's vast compared to other games. There's some graphics packs out there which improve things somewhat but it's always going to look a bit primitive. Although he's hired an artist now hasn't he? Maybe it'll get good changes soon.

I think this:

looks pretty wonderful and it's only using the default graphics set.
To: milko 30 of 477
My current house is great. I mean I really like how it feels and looks. It's like a place I would really like to live. My starting island had a lot of sand with two small earth hills, so I levelled them off and built a house on one and a forest on the other. Then I surrounded the house one with (now huge) cactus wall and connected the two island with a bridge. The baddies cannot get in. Then I built a third island out into the sea for growing wheat so I can make bread when I'm out exploring. I love how there's only one way into the complex (through a door on a bridge over the cactus wall) but many paths from one island to the next.

Now I'm trying to link the continents I've found on my explorations with underground tunnels (might put minecarts in at some point) but that's slow going. I've probably reached that point with this world where the excitement's gone and I need to start again.
To: milko 31 of 477

I hate it when they explode and destroy my bits (no, John) like that.

I haven't played for a while actually, but I might pick it up again. I think I'll go crazy and start grinding down the mountains I've got in my map and go from there. Should be interesting...

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 32 of 477
There should be a better way of sharing a single player world that doesn't involve 150 MB zip files.
To: patch 33 of 477
wetransfer.com is a nice free way of sending big files like that. still a bit awkward obv!
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 34 of 477
Y'know, reading that, this thread could just as easily be title "Staffordshire"
To: Matt 35 of 477
Hahaha. So true.
To: ALL36 of 477
if me and my son both want to play etc
do we need two seperate accounts?
s there any kind of multi-user license?
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 37 of 477
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 38 of 477

:'D LMAO

It's not quite as phallic as it should be, but a good start!

To: ALL39 of 477
Can I be vegetarian, or are the cute pigs the only food source? :(
To: ALL40 of 477
Also, is there an in-game way to figure out what things are and what can be built?

I don't want to watch tutorials or read references - I want to work it out myself, (but whilst still having a slight clue of what I might aim for).
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 41 of 477
trial and error. It is very alpha! if you do a 'survive your first night' tutorial and no more, I guess that will give you indications of the logic it uses and you might be able to figure out lots more of what you can build.
To: milko 42 of 477
Yeah, that's basically what I did - watched a first night thing, then a couple more.

It'd be nice to know a slight bit more though - stuff as simple as what new material I've just created in the furnace - without finding out everything.

Oh well, I'll experiment a bit more then.