Slicehost

To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 5 of 7

Ooh, if I wasn't meddling with reseller hosting too I think I'd have a little play with that.

Very smart.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 7

Actually, EC2 is getting quite competitive generally, even to have an instance running 24/7 is only $60 a month plus whatever bandwidth you use at about $1.7 for 10GB.

I can't work out what the hell they're on about with their Elastic IP thing, though.

To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 7 of 7
Apparently you can remap a 'static' ip to different instances on the fly, without needing to wait for dns to catch up since it is resolved internally by amazon? In so many words...

Elastic IP addresses are static IP addresses designed for dynamic cloud computing. An Elastic IP address is associated with your account not a particular instance, and you control that address until you choose to explicitly release it. Unlike traditional static IP addresses, however, Elastic IP addresses allow you to mask instance or Availability Zone failures by programmatically remapping your public IP addresses to any instance in your account. Rather than waiting on a data technician to reconfigure or replace your host, or waiting for DNS to propagate to all of your customers, Amazon EC2 enables you to engineer around problems with your instance or software by quickly remapping your Elastic IP address to a replacement instance.