SVP affiliation?

To: ALL13 of 24
WTF!?!

quote: affiliate window
In order for us to review your site/application and consider it for inclusion to our network we charge £5 by credit or Debit card.

This charge will be credited to your affiliate account immediately and will be paid back to you with your first affiliate payment.

Please bear in mind that payment does not automatically guarantee inclusion as an affiliate and in the case that your site/application is rejected you will not receive the application review fee back.

The final judgement remains solely with Affiliate Window.

So we have to pay £5 to affiliate window (not SVP), for them to look at our site and decide if they want to allow us to sign up, to affiliate window (which is necessary before even applying to SVP), and if they decide they don't like us they keep the money.

The fact that they do that does give me an uneasy feeling... what do others feel?
To: ALL14 of 24
The other side of the coin... if they don't steal the £5 and actually agree to accept us, there are quite a few affiliates (in addition to SVP) that might be worth signing up for:

- 7dayshop.com
- Pixmania
- Maplin Electronics Ltd
- Firebox
- iwantoneofthose.com

(To name just five from the computers & gadget categories.)
EDITED: 24 Jan 2008 20:35 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 24
any us sites?
To: Matty (EVSTAR) 16 of 24
Dunno - it's a UK company but may well have places that sell to US too.
Probably simplest for you to have a look in the affiliate window merchant directory and see if you recognise any names?
To: ALL17 of 24
To: Golden Axe 18 of 24
Um... some kind of explanation of the link would be great?

Is that a US website that Matty might use?
A website that you already use frequently?
Or is there another reason for posting it?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 24
Prezzibox is similar to firebox.com and may be of use to people on here buying stuff (through forum affiliation), perhaps. That's all.
To: Golden Axe 20 of 24
Ok. There's plenty of similar ones to that I think, so best thing might be to compare prices and commission rates and work out the best value ones.

Anyway, still need to make a decision on joining affiliate window first - does anyone actively object to the £5 entry fee?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 21 of 24
Not I, if it gives us access to lots of other affiliate schemes, should we pass their test, then it'd be worth it.
To: ANT_THOMAS 22 of 24
That's what I'm thinking - I don't like it at all, but the benefits are sufficient that I'd be willing to take the risk.

But I don't want to just push ahead and do it without checking if there's major disagreement.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 23 of 24
Joining Affiliate Window seems like a good idea to me too.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 24 of 24

I object to it on the grounds that they, surely, get a percentage of every referal we make anyway, so charging us for the pleasure of reviewing our site to see if we'll make them money seems a bit shit to me.

But then we don't really have much choice!