SVP affiliation?

To: ALL1 of 24
Do people here still use SVP?

If so, they do an affiliate programme we can join, but obviously only worth it if people actually use them...
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 24
I do. Generally buy all my blanks from there.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 24
What Ant said, but I don't seem to use that many blanks anymore so only order from them about once a year or so.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 24
Yep, buy all my discs from there. Have bought hardware as well, when it's worked out cheaper than other places, which is usually only when you make use of their 1p shipping weekends.
To: ALL5 of 24
Think I need to reword the question slightly... um...

If on average 10 people spend £12 for 100 discs each month, that's £120 a month, or £1440 a year.

At a 2% commission rate it would take over a year to reach the £30 minimum payout that TradeDoubler has.
(It's not with TD, and doesn't say what the actual commission rate or minimum payout is... but 2-4% is about average.)

So yeah, if it takes 2 years to reach a minimum payout amount then we're not gaining much, but on the other hand if enough people burn through discs and other media fast enough to buy a regular stream then it seems a sensible option, especially if the 1p shipping increases the amount people spend with them.

Sooo.... how much (roughly) do you spend a year at SVP?
EDITED: 19 Jan 2008 14:15 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 24
I buy my blanks from them too, but i don't go through that many CD's and DVD's anymore. I probably buy 100Cd's and 25 DVDs a year, so probably not more than £25-30 a year for me.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 24

I've realised I have bought an external hard drive from them in the past.

Possibly ink I think as well.

I/my brother buys 25 dual layer DVDs every maybe 6 months from there for his XBox360 games. Just bought some this week actually.

It's certainly worth doing since quite a lot of people buy from there, any money is better than no money.

To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 24
Well yeah, but if it is just a few people then getting any money could take years.

I do remember them being a common choice here, but haven't heard about them for a while, so didn't want to signup only to have it be pointless.

But since there does seem to be interest, I'll probably signup when I get home or tomorrow or monday... someone poke me if I haven't done it by then.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 24
To: DSLPete (THE_TGG) 10 of 24
Ah yes, ebuyer. The last word on cutting edge web design.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 24
This done yet?

cos I need some blank DVDs and I'll be getting them from SVP (probably)
To: JonCooper 12 of 24
D'oh, not yet!

I'll mark this as unread and do it when I get home, then post again when done.
To: ALL13 of 24
WTF!?!

quote: affiliate window
In order for us to review your site/application and consider it for inclusion to our network we charge £5 by credit or Debit card.

This charge will be credited to your affiliate account immediately and will be paid back to you with your first affiliate payment.

Please bear in mind that payment does not automatically guarantee inclusion as an affiliate and in the case that your site/application is rejected you will not receive the application review fee back.

The final judgement remains solely with Affiliate Window.

So we have to pay £5 to affiliate window (not SVP), for them to look at our site and decide if they want to allow us to sign up, to affiliate window (which is necessary before even applying to SVP), and if they decide they don't like us they keep the money.

The fact that they do that does give me an uneasy feeling... what do others feel?
To: ALL14 of 24
The other side of the coin... if they don't steal the £5 and actually agree to accept us, there are quite a few affiliates (in addition to SVP) that might be worth signing up for:

- 7dayshop.com
- Pixmania
- Maplin Electronics Ltd
- Firebox
- iwantoneofthose.com

(To name just five from the computers & gadget categories.)
EDITED: 24 Jan 2008 20:35 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 24
any us sites?
To: Matty (EVSTAR) 16 of 24
Dunno - it's a UK company but may well have places that sell to US too.
Probably simplest for you to have a look in the affiliate window merchant directory and see if you recognise any names?
To: ALL17 of 24
To: Golden Axe 18 of 24
Um... some kind of explanation of the link would be great?

Is that a US website that Matty might use?
A website that you already use frequently?
Or is there another reason for posting it?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 24
Prezzibox is similar to firebox.com and may be of use to people on here buying stuff (through forum affiliation), perhaps. That's all.
To: Golden Axe 20 of 24
Ok. There's plenty of similar ones to that I think, so best thing might be to compare prices and commission rates and work out the best value ones.

Anyway, still need to make a decision on joining affiliate window first - does anyone actively object to the £5 entry fee?