To: ALL1 of 103

Stick with EuroVPS or switch

EuroVPS: 3 Votes (50.00%)
Other: 3 Votes (50.00%)
6 users and no guests voted.
Poll has ended
EDITED: 1 Aug 2007 09:49 by RENDLE
To: ALL2 of 103
If "other", then please provide a recommendation.
Message 32931.3 was deleted
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 4 of 103
I said other, because it seems to be a rip off compared to what they charged us last time. No suggestions for alternatives though.
Message 32931.5 was deleted
To: Mr (M00RL0CK) 6 of 103
Fuck Hell.
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 7 of 103
why not something like nethosted? loads of members here have nethosted accounts and always recommend them... is it because a proper server costs a hoof?

what were the other suggestions? 1&1?

i know nothing of servers.
To: andy 8 of 103
A dedicated server at Nethosted costs £125pcm. Ouch. If somebody can tell me the requirements for hosting Teh (monthly bandwith, memory, that sort of thing; basically the specs of our current package) then it might be worth asking them whether their reseller hosting could cope with us.
To: andy 9 of 103

We went to nethosted before we ended up here. They set up some temporary hosting for us to try but they didn't like the size of our database so turned us away. This was quite a while ago, although I doubt things have changed too much.

I don't mind moving hosts again, I've got the whole process down to a fine art now with upgrading, backups, restores etc. So long as where ever we go to has SSH and root access so I can make use of the CLI tools, upgrade and fiddle with MySQL etc., I'm happy.

To: ALL10 of 103
Oh and Plesk is a bonus. CPanel just sucks.
To: ALL11 of 103
anyone know what our current requirments are anyway?

how much disk space do we need?
how much bandwidth do we use?
what versions of php, sql, mysql, whatever do we need?
do we need frontpage extentions?
(that last one is a JOKE people !).
To: Matt 12 of 103
eHosting do Plesk. Silver package: £25+VATpcm for 20Gb storage, 150Gb traffic, 384Mb guaranteed/1024Mb burstable memory, and 1000 CPU weight (whatever that actually means). Also 2 unique IP addresses.
To: JonCooper 13 of 103

The forum uses less than 1GB, but obviously the more the better. We have 10GB of space here on EuroVPS, but that has to include the whole RedHat installation, the swap space and the forum.

Bandwidth on average we use under 3GB a month with compression, but we have used a lot higher than that on previous hosts. I think our record is easily above 10GB in a single month.

Latest versions of all are always good. Apache web server is a must, PHP 5.x and MySQL 4.1.x or better. As mentioned above Plesk is better than CPanel.

Shared / Personal hosting is a no. At least some kind of Virtual Server so I can configure our set up independently of other customers which means SSH and root access and the ability to remotely restart the server if I need to. There are lots of other things to take into consideration as well, but those are the major points.

And no, Frontpage is not required.

EDITED: 1 Aug 2007 12:44 by MATT
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 14 of 103
Can't say I've heard of them before, but that does look quite good. 14 day money back guarantee as well which may prove useful. I quite like the idea of UK based hosting as well.

EDIT:

quote:
VPS solutions are not supported unless the support bundle is purchased in advance. This is because it is expected that VPS and Dedicated Server clients have a far greater understanding of the operation of those solutions and thus need less technical assistance. Thus those packages appear to be better value in face terms.

That doesn't inspire much confidence. At least here at EuroVPS we do get support, even being somewhat questionable at least we don't have to pay extra for it.
EDITED: 1 Aug 2007 12:55 by MATT
To: Matt 15 of 103
Do we know anything about InterHost? Their basic package (10GB space, 48.8GB transfer, 256MB mem, Fedora 4, PHP5, root SSH, Plesk 8) is cheap at £18.99/month or £189.90/year.
To: Rowan 16 of 103
Again, not one I've heard of. 256MB RAM is probably a little too low also. We have 512MB minimum here (burst up to 2GB, I think) which was done gratis by EuroVPS. We were on 256MB but they didn't like the fact that we were using up a lot of resources so moved us.
To: ALL17 of 103

Informational thingy with 1and1....

unless you specifically buy a root server, which has no support, youdon't get root access. You can't do that much via SSH, certainly no installing/reconfiguring etc.

Also, I deal with a few linux servers, be happy to help here if ever needed in that department (if matt ever isn't around, or tires of it i suppose).

EDITED: 1 Aug 2007 13:41 by BENLUMLEY
To: Matt 18 of 103

Ah, bobbins. D'you think we could just buy a package beneath our needs and hope we get upgraded for free again? No, didn't think so.

That seems to make Rendle's find look pretty good value.

To: Matt 19 of 103
Surely there's support and there's support, though. They'd be obliged to support you if the service they provided was inadequate; they should just mean they won't help you fix problems with Apache or MySQL or whatever. Shouldn't they?
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 20 of 103
Yeah, we must have enough people here who can sort out apache/php/mysql. So on that basis, the support shouldn't be a huge issue.

I for one would be about 99% sure i could sort it out if anything went wrong.

It also worth finding out how they do support, I've come across places where their idea of support is to return the system to its original supplied state if you fuck it up, and so you have to re-do any changes you've done again. That sort of thing is probably worthless to us.