Xmas Southern Forum Meet

To: paul 81 of 124
£120 for a tyre? Do you drive an HGV?
To: dyl 82 of 124
Mine cost £38, cheapo budget ones, it's not as if I'm taking it round a track or anything.
To: Woggy 83 of 124

I think mine were a bit less than that even. Not that there's much rubber involved in a skinny Punto tyre, so you'd expect cheapness really.

Paul will think I'm having a go at him if I'm not careful, and I'm absolutely not, but I've noticed a couple of times recently how different our definitions of impoverished are, and mine doesn't involve being able to pay (only!!!) £110 for a graphics card and £120 for a single tyre!

Message 31143.84 was deleted
To: Mr (M00RL0CK) 85 of 124

Oh ok. I get irrepairable punctures often enough (like once a year) that I can't imagine it would be worth spending that much. And a full set of tyres would cost almost as much as the value of the car which, however economically rational, I would have a problem with.

<insert likewise generic "tyres are not interesting and I can't believe we're talking about them" disclaimer here>

To: dyl 86 of 124

£120 included supply and fit, collection of bike from my garage to workshop and the usual taxes.

Motorcycle tyres are much more expensive than car tyres because of the shorter manufacturing lines.

I can't say I was best pleased with having to fork out for it (fail)

The graphics card was only facilitated courtesy of birthday and xmas money.

My idea of impoverished is that I earn £30k but, after paying my mortgage, utilities, council tax and maintenance, I have around £75 per week for food, petrol, motorcycle running costs, tobacco and alcohol.

It doesn't go far, I cannot remember the last time I went out to a pub.

(fail)

To: paul 87 of 124

Ah, motorbike. That's the small but essential detail I was forgetting. In which case you have my sympathy, because although I've never had a go on one, I thoroughly approve of motorbikes. I suppose it makes sense that they'd have to be better somehow, as they hold more pressure, and of course, if one of them blows out, you're /really/ screwed.

As for graphics card, I spose I'm just as extravagant occasionally, only for me it tends to be microphones and suchlike. I should spend more on instruments really, since I'd probably get more out of a mandola than I ever would out of a graphics card.

To: dyl 88 of 124
Hehehe! I somehow knew you'd understand. Plus, motorcycle tyres are only made a few thousand at a time, rather than <popular car> which will have a run of millions. On a bike though, I'll have a new tyre over a puncture repair every time. I value my life :D

I'm pretty pissed at Steam at the moment though because their servers have been knocked out by a power outage in Boston [like I fucking care where :@ ] which means I still can't play my Race game [even offline] (fail)

I have been playing on TOCA 3 @ 1280*1024 with everything maxed out and it rocks! 20 cars on grid and no slowdown/glitches/pop-ups at all!

My impressed...

:O)
To: ALL89 of 124

It doesn't look like I'm going to make it unfortunately. I've been really busy securing this new job and fixing two pc's and going to speedy dating!! (don't laugh), and have been well busy at work wrapping things up and training someone up. It's all been really hectic and I've had no internet access at work & a broken PC at home, I've still got all my xmas shopping to do, and this meet has sprung up and I haven't prebooked the rail ticket or anything!

Sorry! I'll definately try and make it at a later date though.

To: Golden Axe 90 of 124
Bah!

To: ALL91 of 124

More bad news........

I'm definately going to be there!

To: Voltane 92 of 124
That is indeed bad news. I am in london at my sisters new house, tis very nice and she is attempting to cook me brunch. Does anyone fancy a pizza in that pizza place near the pub about 1 or so?
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 93 of 124
Mmm pizza. Apparently i had pizza last night, but i was too drunk to remember. The blokey infront of me in the queueure gave me weed though \o/
To: koswix 94 of 124
Ummm bring the weed to put on the pizza! Or just smoke it, what ever is easier.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 95 of 124
If you'll be in the (pizza express?) anyway I might turn up. After a mandatory trip through CEX.
EDITED: 16 Dec 2006 13:32 by EDD
To: Edd 96 of 124
Yo its not pizza express its on the corner of the road near the tesco's I might see you in cex if I get my skates on!
To: paul 97 of 124
quote:
Hehehe! I somehow knew you'd understand. Plus, motorcycle tyres are only made a few thousand at a time, rather than <popular car> which will have a run of millions. On a bike though, I'll have a new tyre over a puncture repair every time. I value my life :D

There's other things too. Motorcycle tyres are designed to operate against the road around a much greater circumference of the tyre whereas car tyres effectively sit "flat" against the road. This does significantly change the build up and structural loads that the tyre has to cope with.

I've actually got a puncture on my bike's rear tyre, but it's a slow and I can cope by blowing the tyre up once a week. Plus I have a compressor in the garage so it only takes 30 seconds or so. Then it's hard enough to last a week before it needs re-inflating again. If it got any worse though, it'd be new tyre time.
To: ALL98 of 124
Miffle piffle fnar and piff amp up an amplify
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 99 of 124
Wuss. Even short arms lasted longer.
To: koswix 100 of 124
Harsh