Slow Slow Forum

To: ALL15 of 34
Crazy slow for me today. :<

By 'slow', i'm talking upwards of 15-20 seconds to display a thread once clicked on.
To: Stoo 16 of 34

Same here. Except clicking reply just now was relatively nippy. But displaying threads, and the threadlist, is painful. :(

(Posting & bringing up the edit screen both took 'only' about 5 seconds.)

EDITED: 26 Jun 2006 14:19 by BOUGHTONP
To: ALL17 of 34
Same as PB now :( *hugs devs*
To: ALL18 of 34
Maybe it's time for a hosting upgrade? It seems like this kind of thing happens all too often. I'd love to chip in, but due to a mortgage I'm on a strict buget. :(
To: 388405efit03=1-0 (KABINGER) 19 of 34
We're on a VPS - that should be more than enough?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 20 of 34
VPS being Virtual Private Server. We don't have exclusive use of this machine, we have to share it with an unknown number of other virtual servers which all run on the host machine and all have to use the same resources.

Last time I saw anything resembling a list of virtual servers there were at least 25 of them in the list. I don't know if they were all on this machine or not, but it certainly looked that way.

We have a guarenteed minimum of 512MB RAM (we actually were on 256MB but they upgraded us for free) the host machine itself only has 3GB RAM and we share everything else with the other virtual machines, including disk space, CPU time, network bandwidth and well everything actually. If there really are 25+ virtual servers on this machine you can see how it only having 3GB RAM would be the problem.

Especially if they're all running Beehive.
To: Matt 21 of 34
Bah, I thought the point of VPSs over regular shared servers was that they restricted it to a reasonable amount of users (like under 10). :/
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 22 of 34
More like so they can reset all 50 with a cron job
To: Matt 23 of 34
do we have a mysql slow query log?

is anything in particular slowing this place down? or is it just overloaded?

and why does my cvs refuse to work?

i am using this ...

:ext:benlumley@beehiveforum.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/beehiveforum
To: Ben (BENLUMLEY) 24 of 34
Yes we do have a slow query log, but all it contains are the main thread list queries by the looks of it.

Like:

sql code:
SELECT THREAD.TID, THREAD.FID, THREAD.TITLE, THREAD.LENGTH, THREAD.POLL_FLAG, THREAD.STICKY, THREAD.VIEWCOUNT, USER_THREAD.LAST_READ, USER_THREAD.INTEREST, USER_FOLDER.INTEREST AS FOLDER_INTEREST, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(THREAD.MODIFIED) AS MODIFIED, USER.LOGON, USER.NICKNAME, USER_PEER.PEER_NICKNAME, USER_PEER.RELATIONSHIP FROM DEFAULT_THREAD THREAD LEFT JOIN DEFAULT_USER_THREAD USER_THREAD ON (USER_THREAD.TID = THREAD.TID AND USER_THREAD.UID = 21) LEFT JOIN DEFAULT_USER_FOLDER USER_FOLDER ON (USER_FOLDER.FID = THREAD.FID AND USER_FOLDER.UID = 21) LEFT JOIN USER USER ON (USER.UID = THREAD.BY_UID) LEFT JOIN DEFAULT_USER_PEER USER_PEER ON (USER_PEER.UID = 21 AND USER_PEER.PEER_UID = THREAD.BY_UID) WHERE THREAD.FID IN (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,14,16,20,22,23,24) AND ((USER_PEER.RELATIONSHIP & 8) = 0 OR USER_PEER.RELATIONSHIP IS NULL) AND ((USER_PEER.RELATIONSHIP & 2) = 0 OR USER_PEER.RELATIONSHIP IS NULL OR THREAD.LENGTH > 1) AND (USER_THREAD.INTEREST IS NULL OR USER_THREAD.INTEREST > -1) AND (USER_FOLDER.INTEREST IS NULL OR USER_FOLDER.INTEREST > -1) AND THREAD.LENGTH > 0 ORDER BY THREAD.STICKY DESC, THREAD.MODIFIED DESC LIMIT 0, 50;

Um. CVS problems. That looks right. It's the same as mine, except the username. What error message are you getting, assuming you're getting one?
To: Matt 25 of 34
i get

code:
In D:\web\project beehive\beehiveforum: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-P" "beehiveforum"
CVSROOT=:ext:benlumley@beehiveforum.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/beehiveforum

cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Error, CVS operation failed

and i also get a red box saying connection error.

it is angering me. i've tried poking firewalls etc, and all to no avail.
To: Ben (BENLUMLEY) 26 of 34
You don't have PeerGuardian running do you? One of the latest updates to the P2P list includes sourceforge which you'll need to add to your allow list.
To: Matt 27 of 34

aha.

that phrase about nails and heads would be appropriate.

had a feeling it'd be something obvious.

ta.

To: Matt 28 of 34

Is something weird happening with character encoding? I'm seeing the usual weird shit instead of accented characters and currency symbols and stuff, like when unicode's broken.

Is this something you're doing to try to get the RSS working? (giggle)

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 29 of 34

It's the other way around. Unicode has never worked that well with Beehive, but it now should. In theory. Maybe.

So old posts will have broken unicode characters but new ones won't.

£€àáâãäåèéêëòóĆć

And so forth.

To: Matt 30 of 34
Eeeeeeeeeeeee grand. You're a marvel y'are.
To: Ben (BENLUMLEY) 31 of 34
Is your Sourceforge username actually benlumley? I've been trying to add both yourself and Pete as site admins but I can't add you as it reckons the user benlumley doesn't exist or you haven't activated your account.
To: Matt 32 of 34

i thought so ....

but i can't login, and i'm not listed on the beehive project either, was there with the list of devs before.

so ... errr.... unsure. finding out!

To: Ben (BENLUMLEY) 33 of 34
The project audit log does show Rendle adding you as a developer, but there is no entry about you being removed so I can only guess that you didn't validate your email or something like that and you've been removed automatically?
To: Matt 34 of 34

hmm. yes. must be something like that. i validated my email though, i have an email confirming it.

i shall register again when i have a minute