The PC Thread

To: DrBoff (BOFF) 71 of 126
Unfortunately, the best option is usually to ask someone for a copy whilst stressing to them that you've got a serial number and just need a copy of the disk. Almost all net versions are Pro Corporate. I've got disks of XP Home at work, but they're Dell only and won't work on none-Dell machines.
To: Dave!! 72 of 126
I (think) I've managed to find one! Seems to be downloading at a fair speed. Probably turn out to be an upgrade or something. Anyway, one more question, I think I'M BUYING TODAY as I had a shit exam and need some retail therapy - I don't need 64bit Windows do I? Normal will work just be less good and then I can wait for Vista?
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 73 of 126
Normal will work fine, it's just that you won't be able to run 64 bit stuff on it. But at the same time XP64 needs brand new drivers for everything and some bits have problems with it.
To: Dave!! 74 of 126
Rizocking. Thanks!
To: ALL75 of 126
Okay I have bought it! Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm sure I will have a million more questions when it comes to build the thing.
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 76 of 126

An OEM license is fine if you're using the key you have on the original harware.

If you've changed the motherboard or hard drive it's less fine. (I've had this conversation with MS alot as one of their partners and they're not too sure what is acceptable for OEM licenses either).

Another problem you'll have is that if you don;t have OEM media, your license key won;t work, convenient, eh?

If you're using the original hardware (more or less) then the OEM license is valid and you'll be legal if you can find an OEM CD, otherwise you need the full version at £180 (that's my lowest price for it, anyway).

To: DrBoff (BOFF) 77 of 126
As you're buying hardware anyway you're entitled to buy whichever OEM copy of the OS you feel like with the hardware, XPx64 or Pro would be advisable. Don't buy the full version ever as it's possible to buy the OEM version with a new hdd or memory for the same money as the full version.
To: Ixion 78 of 126
Buit as I keep saying, just because you've bought the OEM version, installing it doesn;t result in a legal OS.
To: Rich (RICARD00) 79 of 126
It's slightly more legal than pirating though - you're paying MS money, Windows Genuine Advantage is quite happy that you've got a legal copy and windows update is similarly happy.
To: Rich (RICARD00) 80 of 126
To be perfectly frank, I couldn't give a bollocks if I don't meet all the requirements for Microsofts OEM licensing. So long as it's a legal serial number and it's been bought then I don't see the problem. It's a bit like MS stating that OEM stuff isn't transferrable. That's crap as well. Just the same as I can transfer a CD drive or a sound card across when I replace my PC, I see no justifyable reason why I can't transfer a legal OS across as well. Sometimes MS are just to greedy for their own good.
To: Dave!! 81 of 126
Eeh, you are funny with your leaping through hoops justification about piracy. You were doing this about audio CDs before too, I remember. Just deal with it!
To: milko 82 of 126
I don't like to. I take a simple approach in that if I've paid for software then it should be legal for me to do pretty much what I want with it short of obviously making loads of copies or installing it everywhere etc.
To: Dave!! 83 of 126
Yes but then you go on about how it's not piracy, it's morally justifiable blah blah blah. There's no need! Strictly speaking, it's illegal! Getoverit! No one will arrest you.
To: milko 84 of 126
Technically it is piracy, but I do think it's morally justified. And I'm glad nobody will arrest me. Because that would suck :(
To: Dave!! 85 of 126
I would like Microsoft to link my software licenses to my .NET Live account, or whatever Passport's called now. Then I could use my software on any machine I logged into.
To: Dave!! 86 of 126
To: Dave!! 87 of 126

The justifiable reason is that it's not part of the license agreement.

I don;t agree with it but am explaining that this is the case.

OEM licenses are cheap for a reason. If you want to be transferring, you need a 'Fully Packaged Product' as the boys at MS say.

To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 88 of 126
That's coming soon, according to my mate (well, the bloke I deal with) at MS.
To: Rich (RICARD00) 89 of 126
The idea technically is that the system manufacturer is supposed to support the OS mainly, hence less support for Microsoft to dish out and hence a cheaper cost. Once I buy an OEM copy of Windows myself, that immediately rules that bit out as I'm the system builder. Therefore the innability to move the OS becomes silly as it's not as if I'm moving away from a supported system. If they said that OEM versions do not have access to direct MS tech support, then that'd be far better than trying to tie it permenantly to a particular system IMO.
To: Dave!! 90 of 126

I wasn't discussing your philosophy.

I'm dealing in facts. An OEM edition, installed on anything other than a new PC, does not necessarily give the end result of a legal OS.

They do need to clarify what new hardware would allow it to become legit but they don;t know themselves and that comes pretty much from the top of the UK MS tree.