Cracked my ball

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 Sep 2009 19:49
To: Mouse 2418 of 2579
For a moment there my eyes saw 'll' until they focussed properly. Either way, you'll sound like you're playing the castanets when you walk.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2419 of 2579
That would be awesome.
To: william 2420 of 2579
I am whittling a snail in horn and Tagua nut on an African Blackwood stand. Just got the snail's body to go. I'll post pix when it's finished.

But mostly I whittle multimedia installations with GreyHair now. We're in the process of filling a bus shelter near Ricard00's gaff with CGI mermaids.
To: Mouse 2421 of 2579
Everybody at the Meat will get splinters.
To: Manthorp 2422 of 2579

Can you whittle me a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma?

I would prefer persimmon, on a rosewood plinth.

Also, my religious observances prohibit me from paying for materials or labour.

EDITED: 8 Oct 2009 15:10 by RENDLE
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 2423 of 2579
I have knocked up a maquette in sculptor's wax and posted it into your sense of the ineffable for approval and amendments.
To: Manthorp 2424 of 2579
Ew, that's not sculptor's wax!
To: ALL2425 of 2579
Just sticking this thingumy from the crafts council here for people wot likes breaking balls. (or any other "crafty" stuff.)
To: Gobfounded (YVE) 2426 of 2579
Good one Yve. I went all political on their basket-woven arses:

quote:
Craft matters to me - but the Crafts Council took a philosophically and tactically indefensible decision years back when it chose to nail all its colours to the mast of a contemporary art-inspired model of avant gardism.

If the Crafts Council wishes to survive (and in so doing, support the craft pathfinders) it should look to the Japanese model of a balanced approach that enshrines and celebritises masters of traditional craft forms, whilst playing the avant garde against them.

It's not a particularly taxing concept: It's a spurious Coke Vs. Pepsi deathmatch, with the avant garde defended by the young and self-consciously trendy and the traditional by the older and crustier. It doesn't matter a damn who is higher in the ratings; what matters is that the Craft Council annexes both camps. Once it holds that position it doesn't have to defend the one against the other: it owns both.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)13 Nov 2009 21:23
To: Manthorp 2427 of 2579
You have so fucking owned the CC, they just gotta capitulate. Those fucking basket weavers and lino cutters won't know what hit 'em when you get the guns of the Battleship Potterykiln trained on their arses.
To: Manthorp 2428 of 2579

I suspect there's an awful lot of traditionalists out there and all the imagery on their site doesn't seem to fit that mould very well. I'm probably more typical of the average crafty type they'd encounter if they managed to get comments from a good cross section of the population. In my case, I love making things with pointy sticks and stringy stuff and those things tend to be useful and even attractive. I'm happy to be crusty. Representative responses would even include people who *ahem* scrapbook but I wonder how sniffy they'd be about it if they had a flood of responses form people fond of paper and glue.

However many responses they do get, I know there's a small but significant flood from other knitters at Ravelry, some of them who do it or something related (spinning, dying, etc) for a living. Hopefully, they'll take on board that they really can't ignore all the people who aren't simply producing strange metal blobs or vases with beaks in the name of innovation, but who are simply plodding away at something they love and find fulfilling.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2429 of 2579

>>> Mr B - I was well fresh when I wrote that; so much so that I'd actually forgotten about it completely. I don't disagree with my sentiments though. And I did like Battleship Potterykiln.

>>> Ms Yve, It's long irked me that the CC adopted the Arts Council model of focusing on the avant garde (from which I personally benefited, I have to declare). They did an effective job of raising the status and the incomes of a minority of makers, but pretty much sat by while a number of British craft traditions died of neglect. Like I said in my drunken post, the Japanese have proven that you can support both the avant garde and excellence in the traditional.

<edit> PS, Things made with pointy sticks and stringy stuff are generally known as 'bows and arrows'. </edit>

EDITED: 14 Nov 2009 02:11 by MANTHORP
To: Gobfounded (YVE) 2430 of 2579
You know, in the current national situation, with national debt spiralling out of control and troops fighting an unwinnable war with unsatisfactory equipment, I can't think of a better thing for the government to spend money on than a quango to regulate wicker.
To: Manthorp 2431 of 2579
quote:
Things made with pointy sticks and stringy stuff are generally known as 'bows and arrows'.

You're onto me. How else do you think I rule over all the testosterone in this house?
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 2432 of 2579
Maybe they're wanting to create a national handbasket to go to hell in.
To: ALL2433 of 2579
Population of the EU is about 500 mil so we can still win in a fistfight when it comes down to it.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 Jun 2010 15:31
To: koswix 2434 of 2579
And if we duplicate all of our posts we'll look even bigger.
To: ALL2435 of 2579

Oh, FFS - let it die!!!

(no, don't)

To: Manthorp 2436 of 2579
Graphitone thinks there might be a contender to the Cracked my ball throne. Tell him otherwise.
To: ANT_THOMAS 2437 of 2579

Stop it - you're only adding to the problem... any new post is going to make it even harder to beat the 'ball.

You've even got me replying and adding to th... :|

(fail)